Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Tech, Teaching, and Beliefs

The tech of today is advancing at such a rapid pace that I really wonder exactly how different the world of the student will be in years to come.  I personally when in school, years ago, did not get a calculator to do problems, and i mean one of the basic ones, not one of those that looks like a brick.  In today's classes calculators are mandatory and every mobile or electronic device has a calculator on it.   Most of those same devices can access the internet for instant acquisition  of new knowledge.  This is a great thing, this is also a bit of a dangerous thing.  Before I feel we were taught to find some of this to look it up and to make leaps of thought to get what we needed.  Now with certain "KEYWORDS" anyone can grab knowledge on a subject that would in the past be possibly hard to find or just not available.

So with all this tech and the rate of it advancing how do we handle this in the school?  I think that question is probably one of the most important ones to be asked by most everyone teaching today.  I have read several books on my laptop and ipad.  I am currently composing this on my laptop.  Something I would not have dreamed of having 10 years ago.  Despite having found joy and acceptance with the ipad type books and books on the computer, I am very much (when doing research) a fan of having the paper product in my hand.  I find that going over pdf's and things for information sometimes to be very unwieldy and time consuming.

I think some of this might be a bit of age and unwillingness to change but I really like paper books,  BUT I also dearly love the internet and the ability that it gives me to grab information almost instantly.

Matthew

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you made some great points and definitely made me think about it as well. The only thing I saw that could be fixed was the second sentence in the first paragraph. When reading it, it didn't sound quite right. Perhaps a rewording or some puncuation may help. Other than that, it's really good and I'm looking forwarding to reading some more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made some good points and I agree that not everything should be done using technology. And that sometimes using a book instead of the internet can help speed up the research process.

    ReplyDelete