Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Flipping the class over.

Flipping the class seems to be growing in popularity, but it is one that I am slightly unsure of.  I feel that if done well and properly it will be a great tool for learning.  Though I feel that if done poorly it will fall into the trap of being a scapegoat for poor teaching.

This is a great idea for students and teachers.  This form of teaching has quite a lot of backing in and among the teacher types that I am seeing advocate it.  There are even those going so far as to say doing it is good and when doing it for the wrong reasons what said reasons are.  Of course the greatest thing about this is that it facilitates learning in a whole new way.  It engages students and gets rid of discipline problems. It is a whole new way of interacting with students and teachers.

The biggest problem I see is the lack of unbiased thought.  Even in some of the pages that are advocating the flipped class room I do not see unbiased information, the negatives, or as in this page, the What the Flipped Classroom Is Not, are all based toward supporting that you should do the flipped classroom.  Though the one that worries me the most is, this, the flipped classroom will support and help youths with the ability and drive to do it thrive and grow.  As was told to me by a Professor when I was placed at my current field placement, anyone can teach smart hard working kids.  That is were I see this type of class and style of classroom management failing.  When you have a room full of kids that are not willing to read a short excerpt about something because they are used to skimming, or just plain do not want to read or do home work, how do you get them to take time out to learn an entire lesson?  This question really is what makes me worry about the flipped classroom.

This video goes a long way to answering some problems. 



There are many sources and places to get information out there.  The links I posted above are a great start and this one is a forum for discussion.

I guess for me, and where I sit on this topic is: Open to the thought and hopeful, but I remain to be convinced.


No comments:

Post a Comment